Rango is the titular protagonist of the film Rango and Rango 2. He is a Chameleon who was once a pet but gets lost and must survive in the desert. Most of the film revolves around Rango discovering what his real purpose in life is.
Rango, is a young lizard of 17 years of age, While the conflict of the movie is the water shortage in Dirt, it is Rango who provides the narrative, plot, and character for the film. Presumably spending his entire life in a cage without anyone to interact with, Rango is an eccentric, imaginative, thespian character that talks to inanimate objects rather then living things. It is unknown whether or not Rango has a name before his life in Dirt. He made a rumour that he killed the Jenkins Brothers
Rango is the Grandson of Alberto Vazquez, Once he gets lost in the desert Rango uses his acting ability to socialize with the creatures of Dirt by saying that he is an adventurous drifter. When responsibility dawns on him and his lie revealed Rango realizes that his part he chooses to play, is his identity, which was in his heart all along, he then ends up saving Dirt and earning the name of a hero, Rango is crying because a tornado destroyed the ranch.
The Spirit of the West said "No man can walk out of his own story." Rango becomes Rango when he becomes 'nothing' and '....does it for them.'
Rango is a very comical character but also lonely as he remains isolated in his box and is actually seen conversing with inanimate objects such as a headless mannequin, a dead cockroach, a toy fish and a decorative tree however he actually believes he has friends and a very active social life only to be corrected by Roadkill claiming him to be a very lonely lizard.
Throughout the film Rango was seen suffering from an identity crisis, he is constantly seen saying "who am I?" to himself and doesn't even know his own name causing him to create his own identity. Rango is an actor and expects his "friends" to be the same, he describes Victor, an inanimate tree as wooden and his toy pet fish Mister Tibbs, good - too good. After arriving at the town of Dirt, Rango was able to create his own identity and name, he also had a tendency to go over-the-top as he said where he came from they kill and cannibalise a man before breakfast just to wake up an appetite.
Rango was at first cowardly, such was shown during the desert and he caught the eye of a hawk and than away screaming in terror, this also happened again during a showdown with Bad Bill and his crew, the hawk returned which caused Rango to cower in a latrine and then flee. He was also in clear terror when Rattlesnake Jake entered Dirt however so was everyone else. He later became brave and fearless at the end of the film where he threatened to shoot Rattlesnake Jake with one bullet.
Despite his stories claiming that he was the one who killed the seven Jenkins brothers, Rango had never and was always reluctant to actually kill someone, this was shown when a hawk was close to eating him and Rango held him at gunpoint but then hesitated and shot the rope that was restraining one another which accidentally caused him to be crushed which made the town believe that Rango was the one who murdered it. This changed when he never became reluctant to kill Jake with one single bullet.
After the Mayor made Rango the Sheriff of Dirt, he was shown to be very clueless almost shooting a child in the face when he only wanted an autograph and then handing him a gun. He also came across three bank robbers and mistakes them for miners then actually gives them a prospecting permit then giving them directions to the Bank of Dirt.
Despite this Rango can also be intuitive and intelligent, when him and his posse captured Balthazar and his family he was able to realise that something ominous was happening in Dirt and believed that they found the empty jug of water and didn't murder anybody. When the Spanish Daggers were seen walking like the legends told they do towards water and discovered Las Vegas where he realised that the Mayor's true plan was to buy up all the land and then bring back the water when Dirt was washed away.
After being humiliated by Rattlesnake Jake, Rango shamefully leaves Dirt but after a pep talk from the and uncovering Mayor Tortoise John's true plan he returned to Dirt and showed true bravery and made an alliance with Balthasar's family, then confronted Jake who was able to outsmart and then return the water to Dirt, becoming a legend of the people.
Rango is shown to have green scaly skin (which change colours when he blends into his surroundings). He once wore a red Hawaiian shirt, until he wore Western clothing. His sheriff clothing is a white shirt with brown pants, dark brown waistcoat and his silver sheriff badge. He wears a yellow white hat, but later a brown hat when he returns to Dirt along with a brown blanket cape.
During their ambush with Balthazar and his gang, Rango wore Beans' gown while she wore Wounded Bird's blanket cape.
Rango is seen to have clever skills and talents as seen in the film, such as great intelligence, bravery and acting ability.
- Acting - Rango is seen to be very good at acting. This was shown at the beginning of the film where he acted like a "captain of the seven seas" and like a swordsman. He shown his acting ability in front of the Dirtonians when he introduced himself as Rango, which became his true name. During when he and the Dirtonians prepare to get the water cooler bottle back, he shows some incredible acting when he and his allies performed a celebration in an attempt to distract the moles.
- Gunman - Despite being reluctant to kill anyone, Rango is a very skilled gunman as shown in the film where he fires his gun in the air to attract attention, causing a water tower to collapse onto a Hawk and when attempting to shoot Jake. In Rango The Game, Rango is seem to be killing outlaws with his own revolver.
- Intelligence - Rango seems to have very high intelligence as he was able to capture Balthazar and his family (who were falsely accused of stealing the water cooler bottle). He is was able to think of a clever plan to retrieve Dirt's water and ally with Balthazar's family and men in an attempt to distract Rattlesnake Jake by using bats in the form of a Hawk. He is shown to use his intellect to defeat two of Balthazar's men when he pulled the wagon's brakes and the two bullets hit Balthazar's men instead of him and Beans.
- Combat Skills - Rango shows some hand-to-hand combat skills when he accidentally knocked one of Dirt's people unconscious with a single punch. In Rango The Game, he is shown to be an excellent hand-to-hand combatant.
- Strength - Although it is not estimated of how strong Rango is, he is shown to use his strength to knock a person unconscious with one punch.
- Speed - Due to him being a chameleon, Rango can run exceptionally faster. He is able to run faster and can outrun the Hawk chasing him in the desert and in Dirt.
- Stamina - Rango is shown to have an improved stamina which enables him to keep running faster without tiring, while he was running away from the Hawk.
- Camouflage - Because Rango is a chameleon, he can change his colours to blend into his surroundings. This was used when he attempts to hide himself from being spotted by the Hawk seen in the beginning of the film.
- Bravery and Courage - Rango is shown to be very brave and courageous as he is decided to head back to Dirt and duel with Rattlesnake Jake without getting intimidated by him. He has shown his bravery where he brings the water back to Dirt.
- Horseback Riding - Rango is an exceptionally skilled horse rider as seen when he and his posse went to find the missing water cooler bottle and in an alternative ending of the film.
The gun that Rango wields throughout the movie is a Colt Single Action Army revolver, given to him by Bad Bill before they have a stand-off. The gun is incorrectly depicted as having a swing-out cylinder.
- According to Donald Schultz on the "Real Creatures of Dirt" featurette from the Rango DVD, Rango could possibly be a flap-necked chameleon.
Full Name: Rango Vazquez Gutierrez.
Origin: Durango, Durango, Mexico.
Birthday: September 16, 1993.
Actual Place: Rancho El Bandido, Nogales, Sonora, Mexico.
Civil Status: Married to Beans.
Age: 20 Years.
Alias: The Truck, Seguaro.
Height: 1.64 Meters (which is impossible, because he is chameleon)
Weight: 50 Kilos (which is also impossible, because he is chameleon)
Father: Juan Vazquez.
Mother: Mariana Gutierrez.
Sister: Ana Carolina Vazquez.
Wife: Beans Sanchez.
Female Dog: Vanellope Vazquez. (Chihuahua)